Sundays, 10:45 – 11:30 am & Weekdays as Noted Below
Worship & Sermon Talkback – Howald Parlor
A facilitated, open discussion in response to the theme of worship each Sunday: what did you hear, what did it mean to you, what worked and didn’t work, what are the implications personally and collectively for our church and world?
Headline Roundtable – Paused for the Summer
A facilitated, open discussion based on the news of the day, specifically including the diverse faith perspective of those participating. Participants are encouraged to bring headline news stories for discussion: the group, with guidance, will zero in on one or more stories to discuss that day—or perhaps look for connections between headlines.
Weekly Bible Study – Choir Room
Meditation on scripture the readings and how they can shape our daily living.
Discipleship for Kids – Brooks Hall
While parents take part in their discipleship classes, kids will be engaged in crafts, fun, and games in Brooks Hall. Bring a friend! Lead by Shannon Skeens, children’s ministry director, and Connie Halpern (Mrs. Figs Bookworm).
Cup & Collar on Wednesdays @ 10:30am – Starbucks on Las Posas and Ponderosa in Camarillo
Rev. Keene hosts a public table for sharing ideas, and questions, some of which might feed into a sermon. Open to all, especially strangers.
Our Group Leaders & Facilitators
The purpose of the Talkback and Roundtable leaders is to introduce and facilitate each week’s discussion, and to provide for a healthy climate of conversation. (The Bible Study is more explicitly a teaching discussion, led by the Pastor.) Each discussion group is also designed to include a group observer or moderator to assist the leader in facilitating discussion. Leaders and moderators rotate according to their schedules. They include:
- Pam Jirkovsky: hiker, special education teacher (retired), kayaker, Bible student.
- Gene Bream: high school history teacher for 41 years, now retired. Has cats to spare.
- Anna Binney: math teacher, church leader, spiritual seeker. Knows how to use power tools and build stuff.
- Ronald Honeycutt: jet pilot, philosopher, raconteur, retired—but only from one of those.
- Dr. Ruth Truman: many-times published author, rabble-rouser and lifetime partner to a preacher, has stories (and wisdom) to spare.
- Luvi Avendano: opera singer, music director, deeply rooted Methodist, and established daredevil.
- Evelyn Williams: retired from nursing, devoted to care and visitation with those in & out of hospitals; tends to collect dogs.
- Gary Keene: senior pastor at CUMC; B.A. in New Testament and philosophy, life-long cyclist.